A Highland Fling

Monday, June 19, 2006

New Beginnings

So, many of you will know that I’ve got a new job. I’m the new Media and Communications Advisor for Mt Hagen General Hospital. As for the old job – it ended in disaster. Let’s just say the boss of my former host organisation was a little on the too-corrupt-to-possibly-work-with side. Corruption is unfortunately a common problem in PNG but nowhere is it more disappointing than in the charity/NGO/not-for-profit sector. Sadly, “Not-For-Profit” is all-too-often a euphemism for “Not-For-Profit (Unless Nobody’s Looking)”.
So anyway, back in April, I had become so frustrated with my work situation that I started looking for ways out. I had challenged my boss (over the phone) one too many times (he was always in Moresby) and much too often found myself listening to the sweet sound of dial-tone after he had hung up in my ear. I don’t think being challenged by a white woman over poor transparency, constant travel and failure to pay staff for more than six months was what he had in mind when applying for a volunteer. So when I discovered he found a way to gently let me go (sorry *insert relevant Australian aid organization*, we don’t have any funding to properly support a volunteer and we’d rather not waste your resources…), I breathed a sigh of relief and started talking turkey with some key locals. My problem was to find a new job quickly or be sent home. Thankfully, I had started a community development initiative called Friends of Mt Hagen a couple of months earlier and with the CEO of the hospital on the committee, we were able to create a new role for me at the Haus Sik (hospital: literally “house sick”). And so… here I am.
Life at the Haus Sik is unpredictable but always interesting. This morning I arrived at work to find about 100 people anxiously milling about the hospital entrance. This usually signals a major car accident, so I knew this meant a busy day was ahead. A PMV (public motor vehicle: usually 20+ seater vans) had overturned on a bad corner on the highway south west of Mt Hagen and a truckload of people had just been delivered to the hospital in varying traumatic states. My counterpart – the information officer – wasn’t in his office when I arrived, so it was up to me to venture into the Emergency Department to take notes and photograph the injured for possible later media requests and for hospital records. Sadly, four people were killed in the crash. One was the boskru (literally “boss of the crew” – the guy who collects the fares) and three passengers. The wailing from the women is the first signal of fatality after an event like this. In Emergency, it was like a warzone. Bodies with broken limbs, facial lacerations, head wounds, major dislocations and an unknown number of internal injuries, were lying everywhere. One mother was moaning in agony on a gurney. She had suffered a broken pelvis and her six month old was drifting in and out of consciousness in an attending nurse’s arms. It was thought the baby had been thrown from the vehicle. Passenger restraints are non-existent in this country and, even if they are available, nobody uses them – despite the relative frequency of motor vehicle accidents in the area. To make matters worse, the van had been carrying a load of timber and so, many people were crushed unnecessarily when it overturned. What never ceases to amaze me is the average Papua New Guinean’s tolerance for pain. One man with a suspected broken femur was sitting down and recounting the event for me as best he could. As far as I could tell, he had not been attended to yet and so, with no painkillers administered, I was amazed by the clarity of his recall. Similarly, the patience of the nursing staff amidst this chaos was something to be admired. With little resources and family members getting in the way, they still seemed completely in control.
I certainly have a newfound appreciation for A&E staff, and my office – although only on the opposite side of the hospital to Emergency – feels like an entire world away.

PMV Crash 1
A patient’s head being shaved in preparation for stitches

PMV Crash 2
One man with suspected major dislocations and an almost-completely split bottom lip being tended to by nursing staff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home